For members


Six things to know about buying a used car in Denmark

Are you dipping into Denmark’s second-hand motor market for the first time? Here are six things worth keeping in mind.

checking a car
There are several things worth knowing your way around when you but a used car in Denmark. File photo: Signe Goldmann/Ritzau Scanpix

Check the vehicle’s history 

You can learn a lot about the car you are considering buying by looking up its history on websites such as, where you can find information from past synsrapporter or roadworthiness inspections, which are required biannually under Danish law.

In addition to the dates of past road checks, you will be able to check the total kilometres the car had driven at each check – which can help to ensure its mileage counter has not been tampered with. You can also see whether it has been reported missing or has unpaid loans tied to it. As such, you can make sure it is mechanically and legally sound.

Other information provide includes the type, make, model and year of the car, and fuel economy and road tax (grøn ejerafgift) which must be paid on that model.

Ask to see the service book

Cars with well filled-out service books, servicebog in Danish, give you peace of mind as a buyer because they can give a good idea of the vehicle’s condition and maintenance history.

Stamps from authorised workshops show that the car has been regularly checked and serviced, and given regular maintenance with things like oil changes.

You can also see whether the car has been given rust protection treatment if it is an older model, which supplements visual checks of the condition of its paint work and chassis.

Buy from dealership or private seller?

There are several factors to consider when weighing up whether to buy a used car from a private or commercial seller, and these can include your budget and the amount of time you can devote to finding the right motor for you.

If you buy a used car from a commercial seller, existing faults are covered by warranty for two years under the Danish consumer law reklamationsretten. Faults that occur after you buy the car are not covered by this, but commercial sellers sometimes offer guarantees to this end which can be purchased.

Cars bought from dealerships are also likely to have been thoroughly inspected at the company’s mechanical department before being put back on the market, while buying privately is more likely to involve a ‘sold as seen’ type agreement, meaning you have less recourse if there is a mechanical failure following the purchase.

Buying a second hand car privately is likely to be cheaper than buying the equivalent vehicle from a dealer, however, and you are more likely to be able to negotiate the price.

New rule in 2022

A new rule in 2022 relates to whether you are covered by warranty if an issue with your used car shows up after purchase. The formodningsregel, loosely ‘rule of likelihood’ relates to whether a mechanical issue with a used car is caused by a defect that was probably present at the time of its purchase. If this is deemed probable, the buyer is covered by warranty under the consumer law (as detailed above).

Under this likelihood rule, faults that appear on used cars are considered to have been ‘original’ or present at the time of purchase for 12 months after the car changed hands. This applies to all used cars bought after January 1st this year. Previously, the rule only applied for six months.

It should be noted the rule may not apply if the seller (commercial dealer) can demonstrate that it was not present when the car was purchased, even for recent sales.

Fill out a receipt with the seller

It’s common practice in Denmark to fill out a so-called slutseddel or receipt detailing your purchase once everything is agreed with the seller. Both parties agree to and sign the receipt.

You can’t reverse your purchase once you’ve signed the slutseddel. As such, it’s important it this point to make sure you’ve checked everything you want to with the car and are happy with it and all the arrangements relating to its purchase. This does not just mean its working order — it can include things such as financing schemes and the part exchange price of your old car if you are selling to a dealership or commercial seller.

Commercial car dealerships often have their own receipts – although you can check them against your own template if you want to make sure you’re happy with everything that’s included.

If buying privately, you can bring a template of your own, and it’s also likely the seller will have one prepared. Template slutsedler can be downloaded online, like these ones from motorists’ interest organisation FDM.

Sometimes a receipt, particularly when buying from a private seller, might state that the car is ‘sold as seen’ or købt som beset or en gros in Danish. This can be used if there is a known issue with the car that the seller has made you aware of, which may not mean the car isn’t roadworthy but perhaps devalues it (for example superficial rust or older, but not illegal tyres). This should of course be reflected in the price you pay.

Re-register and insure the car

Re-registration of the car in your name is done via the website. You’ll need to login using NemID or MitID. It’s best to do this while you’re with the seller.

When the car is re-registered, the seller’s insurance company is automatically informed by Skat (the tax authority), and their insurance will expire.

When you re-register the car, you can select an insurance company from a drop-down list and choose the anmod om forsikring (request insurance) option, which will give you the obligatory cover (even though you won’t have received a policy yet).

You can contact the company (it may be a company you already have other insurance policies with) and make further arrangements with regard to the policy you have. You can also speak to your insurance company and agree on an insurance policy prior to buying and re-registering the car. The company will then send you your policy once they receive notification from Skat that the car has been registered in your name.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


What salary can you expect to earn in Denmark?

Denmark is well known for being an expensive country with high taxes. But what can your salary expectations be if you move here and what are you left with after tax and other deductions? We break it down for you.

What salary can you expect to earn in Denmark?

What is my salary after tax?

The Danish average income is 45,500 kroner per month (see below for a breakdown of variations according to age and sector). This is your grundløn, which is the basic wage before supplements are added and before tax, which is paid monthly, månedslønnet. The average full-time job is typically 160.33 hours per month, your timetal. What you take home after deductions is called your netto pay.

Broadly, your salary will include the following deductions: Labour market tax (AM-bidrag 8%), State tax (bundskat 12%), Municipality tax (kommuneskat 25%), State pension contribution (ATP-bidrag 94.65 kroner), Holiday pay (Feriepenge potentially 12.5 percent claimed back later in the year).

If you have an income of 45,500 kroner per month, that means around 45.1 percent will be taxed, and 94.65 will go towards the state pension, giving you a total of 24,884.85 kroner per month (3,340 euros per month) after deductions. Holiday pay may be deducted and later reimbursed, depending on your employer.

It should also be noted that various tax deductions can result in the overall tax contribution being reduced.

How does salary vary by age and profession?

The average employee in Denmark earns 45,545.60 kroner (6,111 euros) per month before taxes, according to Statistics Denmark.

The older you are and more experience you have, the more you earn. So when broken down into age categories, the figures are slightly different.

Under 20 year olds: 19,264.35 kroner per month. 

20-24 year olds: 26,996.14 kroner per month

25-29 year olds: 36,120.13 kroner per month

30-34 year olds: 41,606.29 kroner per month

35-39 year olds: 45,287.62 kroner per mont

40-44 year olds: 48,227.51 kroner per month

45-49 year olds: 49,852.91 kroner per month

50-54 year olds: 49,817.97 kroner per month

55-59 year olds: 48,471.48 kroner per month

60 and over: 47,138.48 kroner per month

Job sectors also have an impact on salary. On the Statistics Denmark website, you can select your field of work to find the average salary for your role.

Here is a sample of various professions in Denmark and their average monthly salaries in 2021:

Software developers: 59,904.51 kroner

Science and engineering professionals: 59,092.83 kroner 

Architects, planners, surveyors and designers: 49,013.29 kroner

Accountants: 60,526.45 kroner

University and higher education teachers: 50,452.46 kroner

Secondary education teachers: 51,013.67 kroner

Primary school teachers: 45,427.32 kroner

Early childhood educators: 38,708.66 kroner

Medical doctors: 73,551.49 kroner

Physiotherapists: 39,998.38 kroner

Nursing and midwifery professionals: 44,130.79 kroner

Advertisers and PR managers 82,871.18 kroner. 

Public relations professionals: 51,349.93 kroner

Advertising and marketing professionals: 51,768.53 kroner

Shop sales: 27,894.29 kroner

Restaurant managers: 44,294.49 kroner 

Waiters and bartenders: 27,566.83 kroner

What comes out of your salary?

Income tax in Denmark is divided into a number of components. The most important are the two state taxes, basic and top tax (bundskat and topskat); municipal tax and labour market tax (AM-bidrag).

READ MORE: How does income tax in Denmark compare to the rest of the Nordics?


AM-bidrag or arbejdsmarkedsbidrag, literally ‘labour market contribution’ is a tax of 8 percent of your wages. It is paid directly to the Danish Tax Agency (Skat) by your employer (for those who are not self-employed or freelance).


State or basic tax (bundskat) comprises 12.10 percent of your income after tax deductible income has been subtracted.


Municipal tax is the personal income tax which covers municipal services. The amount you pay depends on the municipality you live in but on average it is 24 percent.


The top-end Danish income tax bracket, topskat, is based on the political principle that those who earn the most, must contribute more to the Danish state. Political debate on tax policy often revolves around the extent to which topskat should be applied.

Topskat is 15 percent (2022). This means that you have to pay 15 percent extra in tax if you earn more than 600,543 kroner. After AM-bidrag deduction, this is 552,500 kroner so you pay this extra 15 percent on the amount of money you earn over 552,500 kroner.

READ ALSO: How will new Danish government change income tax?


Denmark has a small church tax (kirkeskat). The exact rate depends on the municipality but averages at 0.661 percent. Only members of the Church of Denmark (Folkekirken) pay this tax, so foreigners who have moved to the country in adulthood (as well as people of other religions) generally won’t see it on their pay slips. Danes can opt out of paying the tax if you they do not wish to be a member of the church.

Skrå skatteloft

There is a tax ceiling (skrå skatteloft), which in 2022 was 52.07 percent. This means that you can never be taxed more than this amount. If your total tax rate ends up exceeding the tax ceiling, your topskat is reduced so that the total tax rate ends up at the maximum 52.07 percent.


Literally ‘(tax) deduction’, fradrag is the part of your income which can be exempted from taxation. This can be up to 46,000 kroner (37,300 kroner for people under 18).

Things that can be exempt from tax include membership to trade unions and A-kasse, employment expenses, charitable contributions, child support maintenance and the cost of commuting. You can check what you are entitled to here (in Danish).

READ ALSO: Denmark raises tax deduction for commuters amid high fuel prices


ATP stands for Arbejdsmarkedets Tillægspension. This is a pension into which you are legally obliged to pay and which supplements the state pension (folkepension). Your employer pays two-thirds of the ATP contribution, one third comes from your wage. This is the amount you will see on your payslip.

If you are paid monthly it will be 94.65 kroner (2023). Your employer contributes 189.35 kroner, adding up to 284 kroner per month.


Arbejdsmarkedspension and other pension contributions will be recorded on your payslip. You may see the terms AM-pension firma or AM-pension egen, depending on the type of pension you may pay into.



‘Holiday money’ or feriepenge is a monthly contribution paid out of your salary into a special fund, depending on how much you earn. You can claim back the money once per year, provided you actually take holiday from work. It is earned at the rate of 2.08 vacation days per month.

There are two sub-types of feriepenge. These are ferie med løn, whereby you are paid while on holiday – in this case you are entitled to a supplement of about 1 percent to your wages.

If you are not paid while on holiday, you will receive feriegodtgørelse as part of your wages and will see this on your payslip. This means that your employer is obliged by law to pay 12.5 percent of your wages in holiday money into the national pool for you to claim back each year, equivalent to five weeks’ holiday.

READ ALSO: EXPLAINED: How to understand your Danish payslip