Denmark's news in English

Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland

Danish amusement park Europe's second best

Share this article

Danish amusement park Europe's second best
Fårup Sommerland was declared Europe's second best on Tuesday. Photo: Fårup Sommerland
14:52 CEST+02:00
Denmark is home to Europe's second best amusement park, but it's probably not the one you think.
Fårup Sommerland in northern Jutland is the second best amusement park in all of Europe according to the respected German trade industry magazine The Kirmes & Park Revue. 
 
Kirmes & Park Revue ranked Fårup Sommerland behind only Germany's Theme Park Tripsdrill in its 2015 listing of the best amusement parks in Europe, released on Tuesday.
 
 
Fårup Sommerland is located in a forest in northwest Jutland, just south of the town of Løkken. Spread over 110 hectares, the park combines Denmark's largest water world with traditional amusement park rides and an entire area dedicated to attractions for small children. 
 
For its 2015 season, the park introduced two new water slides including Vandkannonen, a double-loop ride with a free fall that is the first of its kind in the world. 
 
 
Jutland's hidden gem
The amusement park's largest ever annual attendance was 656,904 in 2013, a far cry from the 4.5 million guests who visited Copenhagen amusement park Tivoli last year. Fårup Sommerland is largely unknown amongst international tourists, with Danes making up around 80 percent of all visitors and Germans and Swedes accounting for a large part of the remaining 20 percent. 
 
The park's CEO, Søren Kragelund, said in a press release that the international recognition from the Kirmes & Park Revue is a major milestone. 
 
“We began as a small, local amusement park in the Jutland topsoil and we're now an international player in the amusement park business. We are simply so proud,” he said. 
 
Fårup Sommerland has twice been named the best amusement park in Scandinavia by Sweden's largest travel site for children. 
 
Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
Become a Member or sign-in to leave a comment.

From our sponsors

Get a month's worth of your favourite newspapers and magazines - for free

Readly - the 'Spotify of magazines' - is offering readers of The Local a free month's worth of unlimited all-you-can-read magazines. All you need to do is answer one quick question.