Ten Danish words the world should start using
The Local · 22 Jan 2015, 14:20
Published: 22 Jan 2015 14:20 GMT+01:00
- Top 10 mistakes Danes make in English (15 Nov 14)
- 10 things other countries warn about Denmark (10 Oct 14)
- Test your Danish skills with our word quiz (26 Sep 14)
- Ten false friends in the Danish language (06 Sep 14)
- Ten signs you've been in Denmark too long (04 Jul 14)
To the vast majority of the world, Danish just sounds like a bunch of garbled gobbledygook.
But hidden inside the tough-to-master language are some terrific words that, once learnt, seem to actually be better than their English equivalents. In some cases, no one-word English equivalent even exists and in today's busy world who wants to say four words when you could just get by with one!
With that in mind, we put together a list of ten Danish words that we think should be incorporated into the English language. One of them already seems well on its way even though no one (not even the Danes) can seem to agree on what it really means.
So, gather up your overskud and go through our list. Don't wait until overmorgen! And when you're done, remember to share it with your mormor so we all can start using these fun Danish words.