Coronavirus: Danish ministry advises caution over travel to China

Coronavirus: Danish ministry advises caution over travel to China
A girl wearing a protective face mask in Beijing on January 27th. Photo: Nicolas Asfouri/AFP/Ritzau Scanpix
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ citizens’ service (Borgerservice) section has advised people from Denmark to exercise caution if travelling anywhere in China.

Updated travel advice for China on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website displays the new advisory.

The ministry cites “comprehensive efforts by the Chinese authorities, including travel restrictions, in several provinces to curb the outbreak of pneumonia due to the new coronavirus.”

All non-essential trips to the Hubei province should also be avoided, according to the advice.

The virus was first discovered in the city of Wuhan in the central Chinese province in late December.

It has so far claimed the lives of at least 80 people and over 2,700 have been infected.

Travellers to China are advised by the Danish ministry to keep informed about the situation via local media.

In addition, the Danish Board of Health (Sundhedsstyrelsen) advice to travellers can be checked on the health board's website.

The ministry department said on Monday it was working to get 13 Danes in Hubei province out of the area, but had not yet resolved the situation.

The authority cannot currently say how many Danes are in the area.

“Danes in the area are more or less locked in, but they are okay given the circumstances,” Erik Brøgger Rasmussen, director of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Citizens’ Service, said on Monday afternoon.

In addition to getting Danish nationals out of the area, authorities must decide how manage those who are evacuated, including deciding whether to implement a quarantine period.

“We are conducting a complicated operation and many things must fall into place,” Rasmussen said.


Member comments

Become a Member to leave a comment.Or login here.