Danish police divers find body in Aalborg harbour

The body of a young man was found in a harbour near Aalborg Wednesday evening.

Danish police divers find body in Aalborg harbour
Police test equipment at Aalborg's Limfjorden crossing in March 2017. File photo: Henning Bagger/Scanpix

The body had been submerged in the water for several days before being brought retrieved from the Østre Havn harbour area in Aalborg, reports news agency Ritzau.

North Jutland Police confirmed with the news agency that the discovery was reported at around 8pm Wednesday.

“A member of the public contacted us because he had seen the [man’s] body. We then sent in divers and pulled him out of the water. It is a young man, probably in his twenties, but we do not yet know who it is,” duty officer Jess Falberg told Ritzau.

Initial indications do not suggest any links to a crime, said Falberg.

Police expect to have more information following technical examinations.

READ ALSO: Police follow leads after finding woman's body

“We won’t really know anything until results of our investigations come in. We have not yet confirmed his identity, so we cannot say whether he was reported missing,” Falberg added.

Police expect forensic examination to be completed on Thursday.


Danish cup final stopped after fans break virus rules

The Danish Cup final was interrupted for almost a quarter of an hour because fans refused to comply with the social distancing rules inside the stadium, police said.

Danish cup final stopped after fans break virus rules
Fans of Aalborg during the match at the Blue Water Arena in Esbjerg. Photo: Claus Fisker/Ritzau Scanpix
The two finalists, Aalborg (AaB) and SonderjyskE, were each allocated 750 tickets for the match in Esbjerg on Wednesday evening.
During the first half, “the referee had to suspend the match for up to 15 minutes, when the AaB fans refused to stay in the designated seats and huddled together in violation of the Covid rules,” Sydjylland police said on Twitter.
Pictures show members of the Aalborg staff unsuccessfully encouraging their supporters to return to their designated seats.
Between 40 and 50 of the fans were expelled from the ground and put on a bus and sent back to Aalborg with a police escort.
The match resumed after 14 minutes and ended in a 2-0 victory for SonderjyskE, who won the competition for the first time.
The police also tweeted that they arrested some fans for letting off flares.
The increased crowd for the match represented a loosening of Denmark's earlier coronavirus rules limiting attendance at a football match to 500 with a minimum distance between them of two metres.
On Tuesday, the Danish government said it would allow 500 fans into each  section of the stadium and that would have to keep one metre apart.
In Copenhagen, up to 10,500 fans will be able into Parken, Denmark's largest stadium which can hold 38,000, FC Copenhagen club communications manager Jes Mortensen told AFP on Tuesday.