SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Danish Pokémon corpse named as violent killer

The human corpse discovered last week by a Danish Pokémon hunter has been identified as a criminal convicted of attempted murder.

Danish Pokémon corpse named as violent killer
Danish Pokémon Go players in Copenhagen. Photo: Emil Hougaard/Scanpix
Forty-one-year-old Simon Bolt Brinkmann disappeared in May under suspicious circumstances in the same area outside Odense, on the Danish island of Funen, where the body was found in a ditch on July 20. 
 
His body was so badly decomposed that Brinkmann could only be identified by his teeth. 
 
“There is no immediate evidence to suggest that there is a crime behind his death, and that’s all I can say about it,” Andreas Bruun from the local Funen police told Denmark’s Ekstra Bladet newspaper. 
 
Pokémon Go, a location-based augmented reality game, has been a huge global phenomenon since it was introduced earlier this month, with Denmark no exception. 
 
The game has sent players roaming around little frequented areas hunting cartoon animals around the real world with their phones.  A woman in the American state of Wyoming found a corpse in a river while hunting down the virtual monsters. 
 
The game has also brought unexpected dangers, with a Danish 21-year-old on Thursday killed by a delivery van near Aarhus while apparently playing the game. Police said in a press release that they had found the app still running on the man’s phone when they arrived at the scene. 
 
“When we arrived at the scene of the accident, we found his phone unlocked with the Pokémon app running. We cannot know for certain whether he was playing the game at the time of the accident, however,” Jørn Kristen Nielsen from the local Himmerland police told TV2. 
 
Police districts across Denmark had been deluged with calls from concerned citizens panicked by intruders who later turned out to be Pokémon players. 
 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Copenhagen police lift stop-and-search zone

Police in Copenhagen have announced that stop and search zones put in place following a spate of knife violence in the Danish capital will now be lifted, after no further incidents occurred in the last week.

Copenhagen police lift stop-and-search zone

The stop and search zones (also called “visitation zones”), which were in effect in parts of the Nørrebro and Nordvest neighbourhoods, will not be continued and will expire on Thursday, police confirmed.

Recent weeks have not seen any further incidents, police stated, in reference to a spate of violence that flared in the area at the end of 2022.

When the zones are in effect, police within the zone can stop people and check their possessions without meeting the usual requirements to do so.

The stop-and-search zone was put in place on December 29th in response to five stabbings within a week in Copenhagen. It was extended on January 5th.

At the time, police said they believed several of the stabbings were between young men associated with criminal circles, but that there had been no sign of a conflict between established crime groups.

In Thursday’s tweet, police said that investigations into the incidents were “progressing”. No arrests have yet been made.

SHOW COMMENTS