400 Danish postal employees fired

The Local Denmark
The Local Denmark - [email protected]
400 Danish postal employees fired
Photo: Mads Armgaard/Post Danmark

A drop in mail volume leaves hundreds of administrative workers out of a job in 'unavoidable' move.


Some 400 employees of the Danish postal service Post Danmark lost their jobs on Monday. 
The job cuts were announced last month as Post Danmark continues to struggle with declining revenue. According to the postal service, there are one billion fewer letter sent today than in 2000. 
Most of the job cuts will be administrative and support positions. 
“It is quite uncomfortable but we have had to realize that there aren’t so many letters sent any more and that means a need for fewer employees. We cannot see any way to avoid it,” Isa Rogild, head of the union HK’s unit for postal workers, told broadcaster DR.
There are 12,700 Danish employees of Post Nord, which was created in 2009 as a fusion between Post Denmark and the Swedish postal service, Posten AB. The Swedish state owns 60 percent of the joint company, while Denmark holds the other 40 percent.  


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also