Staying safe on the Noticeboard
The Local's Noticeboard is there to help private individuals and voluntary
groups buy, sell, hire, announce or promote things in Germany and further
afield. We do our best to weed out suspicious-sounding ads, but ultimately
you post and respond to ads at your own risk.
If you keep the following tips in mind, you should find that using the
Noticeboard is a rewarding and effective way of communicating:
- Keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal
information in ads posted online, that information can be collected and used
- Exercise judgement when responding to a Noticeboard ad. Check the
advertiser's credentials before proceeding with any transaction. Using
PayPal can be a good way of ensuring safe payment online.
- Exercise similar judgement when contacted by someone as a result
of your own Noticeboard ad.
- If you don't want to be identified when posting or making an
initial response to an ad, use an email address that does not give away your
real identity. Remember - putting your phone number, last name or your work
email address could lead to you being identified.
- Use common sense when arranging to meet someone whom you have met
via an ad. Meet in a public place or in the company of a friend. If you must
meet someone unaccompanied, make sure you tell a friend where you are going
and when you will be back.
- Help us to help you: If you become suspicious of an advertiser
or of a respondent to an advertisement, please inform The Local immediately
by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all information about the
advertiser/respondent and the reason for your concern. All information
received will be treated with discretion.
« Back to Noticeboard