SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Stone throwing causes temporary closure on Danish motorway

Police were forced to temporarily close a motorway near Copenhagen on Thursday due to reports that rocks were being thrown at cars.

Stone throwing causes temporary closure on Danish motorway
File photo: Henning Bagger/Ritzau Scanpix

The Hillerød Motorway was closed at the exit for Farum as North Zealand police investigated possible rock throwing at traffic.

The motorway is now open again after a closure lasting around 30 minutes, the Danish Road Directorate (Vejdirektoratet) confirmed on Twitter.

A car was earlier on Thursday hit on the windscreen by a stone, resulting in the police response.

It is unclear whether the stone was thrown or whether there it hit the car by other means. However, two persons were reported to have been standing on a nearby motorway bridge and making throwing gestures at the time of the incident.

Nobody was injured in the incident. The windscreen of was smashed, however.

“The windscreen of a car was hit in connection with suspected stone throwing, but there are no immediate reports of injuries,” police tweeted.

In a later tweet, North Zealand police stated that investigation had not resulted in “findings or information that could confirm rock throwing. There was not a dangerous situation in relation to the car being hit and we cannot dismiss the possibility of debris”.

Incidents involving rock or stone throwing on motorways occur with relative regularity in Denmark. In 2016, such an incident resulted in a fatality when a German car was hit by part of a paving stone near Odense. The car’s passenger, a woman, was killed. Her husband and their child survived.

Meanwhile, police in Sweden have recently called for motorists to assist by reporting incidents of stone throwing at Danish cars on a road used by vehicles heading to the ferry terminal to Danish island Bornholm, which is located in the Baltic Sea near Sweden.

READ ALSO:

 

 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Former head of Danish intelligence charged over leaks

Danish prosecutors on Friday charged the country's former military intelligence chief with leaking state secrets, following a scandal over Denmark's cooperation with US intelligence.

Former head of Danish intelligence charged over leaks
The prosecution authority said Lars Findsen was accused of “having divulged secrets important to national security on several occasions and… under particularly aggravated circumstances”.
 
The details of the investigation are classified, but the case comes after Danish media reported that the Danish intelligence services had cooperated with the US National Security Agency (NSA).
 

Findsen, who was suspended in August 2020 without public explanation, was subsequently held in custody from December 2021 to February 2022. He insists he is innocent.

 
“I never divulged any state secrets. I reject the allegations”, he told Danish news agency Ritzau in June, criticising the handling of the case as “ridiculous”.
 

Prosecutors accuse Findsen of leaking state secrets and other confidential information after his suspension to six people, including two journalists, over a period of up to 17 months.

 
The leaks could “harm relations with other intelligence service partners and make their work more difficult if their work methods were revealed”, prosecutor Jakob Berger Nielsen said.
 
“Trust in the (Danish) intelligence service’s ability to protect sensitive information may have been weakened,” he added.
 
The prosecution said it would request a trial behind closed doors. A date has yet to be set.
 
While Denmark never publicly revealed why Findsen and the other agents were suspended, there have been suspicions that his service conducted illegal surveillance.
 
The government accused them of hiding “crucial information” and providing “false information to the authorities” between 2014 and 2020.
 
In May 2021, an investigation by several Danish media revealed that the NSA used Danish underwater cables to spy on officials in France, Germany, Norway and Sweden until at least 2014.
 
Former German chancellor Angela Merkel was among the NSA’s targets.
 
The revelations sparked an international scandal and the four countries demanded explanations from Washington and Copenhagen.
 
SHOW COMMENTS