A number of the arrested individuals are reported to be suspected of terrorism offences.
“The reason for this operation is the suspicion of preparation to carry out terrorist attacks with a militant, Islamist motive,” Copenhagen Police said in a press statement on Wednesday.
In a brief tweet earlier in the day, police wrote that several police districts were involved in the action, which was led by Copenhagen Police.
The operation included “searches and arrests… in several parts of the country,” the tweet read.
Six police districts confirmed to broadcaster DR that they have were part of the operation: Copenhagen West Police, North Jutland Police, Funen Police, Central and West Jutland Police, and Central and West Zealand Police, as well as Copenhagen Police.
East Jutland Police confirmed to TV2 that it had also been involved.
Police operations have been reported in northern city Aalborg as well as in Valby and Herlev near Copenhagen, although it is currently unconfirmed whether these are part of the same case.
In Aalborg, two men were led away in white suits by armoured police, newspaper B.T. reported. It is also unclear whether this is related to the Copenhagen Police action.
In Valby, witnesses told B.T. they had seen a vehicle from bomb disposal unit EOD.
Copenhagen Police and police intelligence service PET are scheduled to give more detail at a press briefing which is ongoing at the time of writing.
At the briefing, Copenhagen Police chief inspector Jørgen Bergen Skov said that police “now have the situation under control”, with all suspects in the case now arrested and none remaining at large.
Some of the arrested individuals had “acquired components for making explosives or attempted to acquire firearms”, Skov also said.
Preliminary court hearings for some of those arrested are likely to take place on Thursday, the inspector confirmed.