Copenhagen and Malmö even in feisty ‘Battle of the Bridge’

A tasty return match could be on the menu after the 1-1 draw between Malmö FF and FC Copenhagen on Thursday.

Copenhagen and Malmö even in feisty 'Battle of the Bridge'
Malmö and Copenhagen players in action on Thursday night. Photo: Andreas Hillergren/TT/Ritzau Scanpix

Although the UEFA Europa League game ended all square, both teams came away with gripes about how things went.

Copenhagen took the lead through Lasse Nielsen in first-half injury time, before Markus Rosenberg struck an equalizer for Malmö on 55 minutes.

The result was “unfortunately unfair”, Malmö midfielder Anders Christiansen said to Swedish newspaper Expressen after Thursday’s match.

“They had one half-chance and scored one goal,” coach Uwe Rösler said to the same newspaper.

The game had been billed as the ‘Battle of the Bridge’ due to the proximity of the two cities, which are separated by the width of the Öresund.

It turned out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy as the match took on an increasingly physical nature.

There was also little agreement between the two clubs over who had deserved to take more from the game.

“We had full control of the match until Malmö equalized,” FC Copenhagen coach Ståle Solbakken said to Expressen, while admitting he was “satisfied” with the result.

The two teams will play each other again in Copenhagen on December 12th, in a match that could decide who goes through to the knockout stages.

READ ALSO: IN PICTURES: 14 photos that show Copenhagen and Malmö in a new light

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


‘I’m fine — under the circumstances’: Collapsed Danish striker tweets from hospital

Christian Eriksen, the Danish football player who collapsed on the pitch in his country's opening Euro 2020 game, said that he was doing "fine" in an Instagram post from hospital on Tuesday.

'I’m fine — under the circumstances': Collapsed Danish striker tweets from hospital
Danish striker Christian Eriksen tweeted a picture of himself in hospital. Photo: DBU

“I’m fine — under the circumstances, I still have to go through some examinations at the hospital, but I feel okay,” he wrote in a post accompanying a photo of him smiling and giving a thumbs-up while lying in bed.

In a scene that shocked the sporting world and beyond, the 29-year-old Inter Milan midfielder suddenly collapsed on the field in the 43rd minute of Denmark’s Group B game on Saturday against Finland in Copenhagen.


Medical personnel administered CPR as he lay motionless on the field for about 15 minutes before being carried off the pitch and rushed to hospital. He was later confirmed to have suffered cardiac arrest.

“Big thanks for your sweet and amazing greetings and messages from all around the world. It means a lot to me and my family,” he wrote in Tuesday’s post. “Now, I will cheer on the boys on the Denmark team in the next matches. Play for all of Denmark.”