SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Danes in mourning after missing teen found dead

Up to 300 people attended a memorial service on Monday for 17-year-old Emilie Meng, whose body was found on Christmas Eve.

Danes in mourning after missing teen found dead
17-year-old Emilie Meng had been missing since July. Photo: Jens Nørgaard Larsen/Scanpix
Meng had gone missing on July 10th after a night out on the town in Slagelse with her friends. Her disappearance led to a months-long search that reached its tragic end on Saturday when a body was found at a lake in Borup, some 60 kilometres from Korsør Station, where Meng was last seen. 
 
By Sunday evening, police had confirmed that the body was identified as Meng and that there is evidence to indicate that she had been subjected to a crime before her body was brought to the lake. 
 
“We now have a new point of departure in our investigation. We know that a criminal offence has been committed,” police inspector Søren Ravn-Nielsen said at a Sunday press briefing. 
 
After more than five months of uncertainty, Slagelse Mayor Stén Knuth said that although the discovery of Meng’s body was horrible, it can at least hopefully offer her family a sense of closure. 
 
“It gives a bit of peace to know that at least she isn’t in a basement somewhere suffering,” he told broadcaster DR. 
 
Knuth was one of around 300 people to attend a memorial at Korsør Station in Meng’s honour on Monday. A torchlight procession from the station to Skt Povls Church will follow on Thursday. 
 
After the announcement that Meng’s body had been found, police said they received nearly 80 new tip-offs from the public.
 
“There have been calls about people, vehicles and other suspicious things. None of the tip-offs have led to a breakthrough at this point,” Kim Kliver of Southern Zealand and Lolland-Falster Police told DR on Tuesday.   
 
Around 300 people paid their respects to Emilie Meng in Korsør on Monday. Photo: Ida Guldbæk Arentsen/Scanpix
Around 300 people paid their respects to Emilie Meng in Korsør on Monday. Photo: Ida Guldbæk Arentsen/Scanpix 
 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Danish 7-Eleven stores back on grid after ransomware attack

Almost all of 7-Eleven’s 176 Denmark locations are back up and running with the help of a backup system, the company said on Thursday. 

Danish 7-Eleven stores back on grid after ransomware attack

In an email to news wire Ritzau, 7-eleven said that over 96 percent of its convenience stores across Denmark were now in “stable operation”. That corresponds to around 169 stores.

“We have technicians at the remaining stores who are working hard to get them up and running as soon as possible,” the company said in the email.

However, convenience stores at train stations (where you can buy a transport card) were only accepting Dankort (debit card) payments as of Wednesday evening.

All operational stores outside of train stations currently accept Mobile Pay (app) and cash payments, and many can take Visa, Mastercard, and Dankort. 

“We expect that all stores outside of train stations can accept all Visa, Mastercard, and Dankort during the course of tomorrow morning, and all stores at train stations [will be able to] during the course of the week,” the company wrote late on Wednesday.

The convenience store chain was on Monday hit by a cyber attack that forced all of its 176 stores in Denmark to close.

7-Eleven has confirmed that the outage was due to a ransomware attack — hackers demanded money to return access to the company’s data and systems. 

The attack has been reported to police.

The company’s CEO, Jesper Østergaard, told Ritzau he did not know the extent of losses suffered by 7-Eleven as a result of the incident.

SHOW COMMENTS