SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Danish women have become more violent

Danish women are closing the gender gap when it comes to crime.

Danish women have become more violent
Photo: Colourbox
Since 1980, the proportion of law violations committed by women has doubled from ten to 20 percent, broadcaster DR’s investigative unit reported on Thursday
 
In raw figures, the number of women criminals went from around 5,000 in 1980 to over 9,000 in 2015. 
 
And many of those violations are of a violent nature. Last year marked the first time that an equal number of men and women were convicted for involuntary manslaughter or bodily harm. Likewise, the number of women convicted of violent acts has exploded from 186 in 1980 to 1,106 last year. 
 
Retired criminologist Annika Snare told DR that the figures represented “the dark side of women’s liberation”.
 
“Women are much more out of their homes than before. They are out in the night life, they are more active. At the same time, male juvenile crime has fallen drastically over the past 20 years. The boys sit at home and play on their computers,” she said. 
 
Britta Kyvsgaard, a researcher at the Danish Justice Ministry, told DR that the closing of the gender crime gap is due to “a drastic fall in the number of cases amongst men, not an increase in the number of cases amongst women”. 
 
She also said the statistics swing could be due to people having become more comfortable reporting violence at the hands of women. 
 
Although women are now committing more violent crimes than they were some 35 years ago, the trend does not extend to manslaughter or murder (Danish law does not distinguish between the two). Last year, men were convicted in 34 murder cases, while women were convicted in just five.

CRIME

Copenhagen police lift stop-and-search zone

Police in Copenhagen have announced that stop and search zones put in place following a spate of knife violence in the Danish capital will now be lifted, after no further incidents occurred in the last week.

Copenhagen police lift stop-and-search zone

The stop and search zones (also called “visitation zones”), which were in effect in parts of the Nørrebro and Nordvest neighbourhoods, will not be continued and will expire on Thursday, police confirmed.

Recent weeks have not seen any further incidents, police stated, in reference to a spate of violence that flared in the area at the end of 2022.

When the zones are in effect, police within the zone can stop people and check their possessions without meeting the usual requirements to do so.

The stop-and-search zone was put in place on December 29th in response to five stabbings within a week in Copenhagen. It was extended on January 5th.

At the time, police said they believed several of the stabbings were between young men associated with criminal circles, but that there had been no sign of a conflict between established crime groups.

In Thursday’s tweet, police said that investigations into the incidents were “progressing”. No arrests have yet been made.

SHOW COMMENTS