12 Copenhagen transport moments we've all had
Juan Franco · 27 Apr 2016, 13:03
Published: 27 Apr 2016 13:03 GMT+02:00
Updated: 27 Apr 2016 13:03 GMT+02:00
- Ten first impressions of Denmark (29 Jul 15)
- Ten awesomely literal Danish words (16 Jul 15)
- Ten lovely Danish towns you've never heard of (08 Jul 15)
Regardless of whether it's the S-Train, the metro or the bus, Copenhagen public transportation holds many delights. So convenient, and yet so expensive! So efficient, and yet you always find yourself waiting 30 minutes for a train on Saturday night.
The Local's Juan Franco, a newcomer to the Danish capital, has spent the last three months learning his way around the city and found the 12 most common experiences foreigners have when using Copenhagen's public transportation.
1. The moment when the train stops unexpectedly followed by an announcement in Danish, leaving you with no idea what's going on.
Err... What does all that Danish mean?
2. The moment you spot a Metro or DSB agent checking for tickets and you don't have one.
I wish I could explain myself in Danish?
3. The moment you get a phone call in the S-Train “Quiet Zone” and three different people start glaring at you.
4. The moment you press the stop button on the bus but there are 25 people between you and the exit.
Photo: Michael Vadon/Flickr
Errr, how do I even get to the door?
5. The moment you realize you didn’t check out with your Rejsekort – four hours later.
Photo: Fat Les/Wikipedia
Time to forget the pain. Nope, can't afford it anymore.
6. The moment you get to the bus stop only to see that the next one isn’t due for 30 minutes and you have to wait in the cold.
Where's a hot chocolate machine when you need one?
7. The moment you feel awkward about drinking on the Metro on a Friday night only to realize everyone else does it too.
Making friends has never been this easy.
8. The moment you spot a cute puppy on the train but you don’t know if it’s culturally appropriate to go pet it.
How can you resist those eyes?
9. The moment you are surrounded by 30 six-year olds on a field trip.
You've never felt taller in your whole life.
10. The moment you get to ride in the front seat of the Metro and you feel like you’re on a spaceship.
This is the best day of my life!
11.The moment when you make a point to show the bus driver your monthly pass but you’re certain he couldn't care less.
Photo: MTG LION/YouTube
Is this real life?
12.The moment when you’re finally able to land a seat on the Metro.
This has NEVER happened before!