SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Isis-inspired Danish teen gets nine years for killing mum

A Danish teenager who killed her mother after reportedly becoming fascinated with the terror group Isis was sented to nine years in prison on Thursday.

Isis-inspired Danish teen gets nine years for killing mum
A selfie posted to the teen's Instagram account. Photo: Instagram
Now 16-year-old Lisa Borch will serve nine years in prison for killing her mother in October 2014, while her 29-year-old accomplice Bakhtiar Mohammed Abdullah was sentenced to 13 years in prison followed by permanent expulsion from Denmark.
 
The Western High Court thus upheld the September ruling of a lower court. 
 
According to Ekstra Bladet, Borch’s sentence is the harshest ever handed down to a teenager in Denmark. 
 
During the girl’s initial trial, it was revealed that she had become radicalized by watching Islamist propaganda online.
 
 
“She has said herself that she sometimes watches Islamic State videos,” prosecutor Karina Skou told AFP. The investigation did not determine which videos from the terror group – alternately known as Isis or IS – the defendant had seen.
 
On the October 2014 night she stabbed her mother, Tina Rømer Holtegaard, at least 20 times, Borch had also reportedly been watching videos of beheadings. 
 
Ekstra Bladet reported that in the High Court case, Borch tried to place all of the blame on Abdullah and said that she lied in her previous testimony because she was “scared of Bakhtiar”. 
 
Following her September conviction, Borch’s stepfather stepped forward to say that the teenaged Dane was obsessed with Isis.
 
“She loves to talk about IS and their brutal behaviour in the Middle East,” 58-year-old Jens Holtegaard told Ekstra Bladet. 
 
In a later interview with the tabloid, however, he said she was no radical Islamist. 
 
“Her radicalization is something that only exists in her head. She could have just as easily been attracted to the biker gang environment or some other extreme,” Holtegaard said. 
 
According to reports from the courtroom, neither defendant expressed any emotion when the court upheld their sentences. 

CRIME

Copenhagen police lift stop-and-search zone

Police in Copenhagen have announced that stop and search zones put in place following a spate of knife violence in the Danish capital will now be lifted, after no further incidents occurred in the last week.

Copenhagen police lift stop-and-search zone

The stop and search zones (also called “visitation zones”), which were in effect in parts of the Nørrebro and Nordvest neighbourhoods, will not be continued and will expire on Thursday, police confirmed.

Recent weeks have not seen any further incidents, police stated, in reference to a spate of violence that flared in the area at the end of 2022.

When the zones are in effect, police within the zone can stop people and check their possessions without meeting the usual requirements to do so.

The stop-and-search zone was put in place on December 29th in response to five stabbings within a week in Copenhagen. It was extended on January 5th.

At the time, police said they believed several of the stabbings were between young men associated with criminal circles, but that there had been no sign of a conflict between established crime groups.

In Thursday’s tweet, police said that investigations into the incidents were “progressing”. No arrests have yet been made.

SHOW COMMENTS