SHARE
COPY LINK

ROYALS

Danish prince ‘never in danger’ in beach drama

Ten-year-old Prince Christian, second in line to the Danish throne, was pulled from the surf by an Australian lifeguard recently but a spokesperson for the royals denies the prince was in serious danger.

Danish prince 'never in danger' in beach drama
Prince Christian and Princess Isabella in Copenhagen. Photo: Simon Læssøe/Scanpix

The incident came during the December holiday down under of Crown Prince Frederik and Australian-born Princess Mary when their son Christian had to be helped from the sea at Mermaid Beach in Queensland.

Lifeguard Nick Malcolm, who was responsible for the rescue, chose not to speak to local media immediately following the incident.

“We got him before it got too serious, but he wouldn't have come back in,” Malcolm's supervisor Stuart Keay told Australia's Channel 7 television station.

The lifeguard, has since said he did not know Prince Christian's identity until after the incident.

“He (Christian) was in between the flags in the deep part before the break and just got swept off his feet,” Malcolm told Australian regional daily the Gold Coast Bulletin

“He was a really good swimmer — it helped that he didn’t panic,” he added.

Malcolm was personally thanked by the Crown Prince, according to Channel 7.

But a Danish Royal Family spokesperson claims the lifeguard was aware who the prince was and had been instructed to watch him closely.

“Lifeguards must always be alert, and in this case they knew who was in the water, so perhaps they were extra alert. They made extra certain that Prince Christian was okay – which he was. In other words, the situation was completely undramatic,” royal family head of communication Lene Balleby told Ritzau.

Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary along with Prince Christian and the couple's three other children have since continued their beach holiday.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

ROYAL FAMILY

Denmark’s prince Joachim released from hospital: palace

Denmark's Prince Joachim, youngest son of Queen Margrethe II, has been released from hospital following surgery for a blood clot on the brain last week, the palace said Tuesday.

Denmark's prince Joachim released from hospital: palace
Photo: Bertrand Guay/AFP/Ritzau Scanpix

The 51-year-old underwent emergency surgery at Toulouse University Hospital in southern France after he was taken ill during a holiday with his family at Cayx, a chateau the royal family owns.

The palace said the prince was released on Monday and was recovering at Cayx.

READ ALSO: Denmark's Prince Joachim to recover fully from brain clot: palace

SHOW COMMENTS