SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Danish paedophilia suspect to stand trial

The trial of a Danish man accused of being behind an online paedophilia network gets underway on Tuesday.

Danish paedophilia suspect to stand trial
The man is described as one of the most active Danish paedophiles online. Photo: Petras Gagilas/Flickr
A 48-year-old man from the Jutland town of Randers is accused of running two websites that encouraged users to sexually abuse children and then share videos and photos of the attacks. 
 
Public broadcaster DR reported that the man required members to regularly post proof of sexual abuse if they wanted to remain members of the two sites, ‘Hoarders Hell’ and ‘The Love Zone’. 
 
The Danish National Police (Rigspolitiet) said that the 48-year-old is suspected of being one of the most active Danish paedophiles on the internet. 
 
“As it looks now, we don’t believe that there are other Danish administrators [of the sites, ed.],” Flemming Kjærside, an inspector with Rigspolitiet’s National Cyber Crime Center, told DR. 
 
Prosecutors say that in addition to running the online paedophilia ring, the man allegedly travelled to Romania with the intention to “buy or in some other way acquire an infant for the purposes of abusing the child sexually”. 
 
When police arrested the man last year, investigators determined that he was responsible for uploading 3,696 photos and 116 videos of child pornography. 
 
Kjærside said that the website’s structure of forcing users to upload photos if they wanted to retain their membership undoubtedly led to many sexually attacks on children. 
 
“It means that one must attack children themselves. It becomes some sort of currency that one carries out attacks and delivers the material,” he said. 
 
The 48-year-old’s trial was scheduled to begin at 9am on Tuesday in Randers City Court.  

CRIME

Copenhagen police lift stop-and-search zone

Police in Copenhagen have announced that stop and search zones put in place following a spate of knife violence in the Danish capital will now be lifted, after no further incidents occurred in the last week.

Copenhagen police lift stop-and-search zone

The stop and search zones (also called “visitation zones”), which were in effect in parts of the Nørrebro and Nordvest neighbourhoods, will not be continued and will expire on Thursday, police confirmed.

Recent weeks have not seen any further incidents, police stated, in reference to a spate of violence that flared in the area at the end of 2022.

When the zones are in effect, police within the zone can stop people and check their possessions without meeting the usual requirements to do so.

The stop-and-search zone was put in place on December 29th in response to five stabbings within a week in Copenhagen. It was extended on January 5th.

At the time, police said they believed several of the stabbings were between young men associated with criminal circles, but that there had been no sign of a conflict between established crime groups.

In Thursday’s tweet, police said that investigations into the incidents were “progressing”. No arrests have yet been made.

SHOW COMMENTS