Ikea recalls lamp after toddler gets shock
The Local · 18 Aug 2015, 11:12
Published: 18 Aug 2015 08:46 GMT+02:00
Updated: 18 Aug 2015 11:12 GMT+02:00
Ikea said that it had received a report that an 18-month-old boy’s hand was injured after he tried to pull a night light from its Patrull range out of a socket.
Reports of the accident first surfaced in European media early on Tuesday morning.
Daniela Rogosic from Ikea's press office later confirmed to Swedish newspaper Metro that the recall applied to Sweden as well as the company's stores elsewhere in the EU and the US.
“We have researched and tested 600 products, and all proved to be completely safe in terms of legal standards, but we have nonetheless decided to withdraw [the Patrull lamp] because there has been an incident,” she told the paper.
An image of the lamps released by Ikea in Sweden on Tuesday. Image: Ikea
A total of 170,000 Patrull lamps have been sold in Sweden, according to Metro. The brightly coloured lights come in white, pink and orange, and have been available to buy since 2013.
All customers who own the product have been advised to stop using it immediately and return it to their local Ikea store, where they can be issued with a refund.
News of the recall comes just months after the company took a world famous safety gate off its shelves following reports that several children had been injured falling down stairs because the gate had not held its position. The gate was also part of the Patrull range.