SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Danish man charged and jailed in Gothenburg

A 27-year-old Danish man was charged Sunday with illegal weapon possession in connection with last week’s deadly shooting incident in Gothenburg, Sweden.

Danish man charged and jailed in Gothenburg
A man lays flowers on the crime scene of a fatal shooting in Gothenburg, Sweden. Two people were killed and several injured when at least one gunman armed with an automatic weapon began firing in a pu
An unnamed 27-year-old Dane was charged with "seriously" violating Sweden's gun laws along with two other men, aged 18 and 20, on Sunday.
 
The three men are suspected of having connections to a deadly attack at a Gothenburg restaurant on Wednesday
 
The trio were arrested 24 hours after at least two masked gunmen armed with machine guns stormed a busy restaurant in Sweden’s second largest city, spraying it with bullets and killing a 20-year-old and a 25-year-old. Several witnesses say a third man filmed the attack.
 
Early on in the investigation, police said they believed the shooting was gang-related, triggered by an on-going feud.
 
On Thursday – a day after the shooting – the three men were arrested after police found several arms in the car they were travelling in.  On Sunday, a Gothenburg district court charged the trio on suspicion of “seriously” violating the country’s gun laws. All three have denied the charges. None of them have been charged with suspected involvement in the shooting, however.
 
“Police are saying that they can’t rule out a link [to the deadly shooting]. And in that sense that’s correct; nothing can really be ruled out,” Peter Gillberg, the lawyer of the youngest suspect, told Swedish news agency TT.
 
Police would not say what type of weapons were found in the vehicle, but the seriousness of the charges filed by the court indicate that there was either a great amount of, or especially dangerous weapons in the car.
 
“They had two Kalashnikovs in the car and are extremely interesting [in the case],” an unnamed police source was quoted as telling tabloid Expressen.
 
Out of the eight people injured in the attack, one is still in a serious “but stable” condition, and five others are receiving treatment for less serious injuries. Two others have been able to leave hospital.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Danish 7-Eleven stores back on grid after ransomware attack

Almost all of 7-Eleven’s 176 Denmark locations are back up and running with the help of a backup system, the company said on Thursday. 

Danish 7-Eleven stores back on grid after ransomware attack

In an email to news wire Ritzau, 7-eleven said that over 96 percent of its convenience stores across Denmark were now in “stable operation”. That corresponds to around 169 stores.

“We have technicians at the remaining stores who are working hard to get them up and running as soon as possible,” the company said in the email.

However, convenience stores at train stations (where you can buy a transport card) were only accepting Dankort (debit card) payments as of Wednesday evening.

All operational stores outside of train stations currently accept Mobile Pay (app) and cash payments, and many can take Visa, Mastercard, and Dankort. 

“We expect that all stores outside of train stations can accept all Visa, Mastercard, and Dankort during the course of tomorrow morning, and all stores at train stations [will be able to] during the course of the week,” the company wrote late on Wednesday.

The convenience store chain was on Monday hit by a cyber attack that forced all of its 176 stores in Denmark to close.

7-Eleven has confirmed that the outage was due to a ransomware attack — hackers demanded money to return access to the company’s data and systems. 

The attack has been reported to police.

The company’s CEO, Jesper Østergaard, told Ritzau he did not know the extent of losses suffered by 7-Eleven as a result of the incident.

SHOW COMMENTS