SHARE
COPY LINK

MALMÖ

Second missing Malmö boy found in Denmark

Both of the two boys who went missing after a controversial altercation with Swedish police at Malmö train station are now being taken care of by Danish social services, it was revealed on Tuesday afternoon.

Second missing Malmö boy found in Denmark
A screenshot from Swedish newspaper Sydsvenskan
A nine-year-old boy who went missing after a controversial altercation in Sweden was found in Jutland last week, as reported by The Local on Friday. His 12-year-old friend has now also been found, Deputy Police Area Manager in Malmö Mats Karlsson told The Local on Tuesday afternoon.
 
“Both children are with social services in Denmark and the social services in Malmö have retracted their request for Swedish police to hand them over into their care,” he said.
 
Karlsson confirmed that responsibility for the children is now with the social services and Swedish police will not pick them up.
 
"I am happy they have been found and I am convinced they are now with the authorities best able to look after them," he said.

 
The news came as police were continuing to investigate claims two security guards attacked the two refugee children at Malmö train station earlier this week. Local newspaper Sydsvenskan obtained a video that appeared to show one of the guards pushing the nine-year-old onto the ground, sitting on him and holding his hands over his mouth. The boy could be heard reciting the Islamic prayer the Shahada ('There is only one God, and Muhammad is his Prophet').
 
 
The second guard is shown in the same video clip, restraining the older boy on a bench at the station.

The two children somehow managed to flee the scene, eventually ending up in Denmark.
 
There has been speculation in the Swedish media that the pair are brothers and have relatives in Sweden and may have been at Malmö station searching for their parents or other family members. But police have been unable to confirm the rumours.

FOOTBALL

Copenhagen and Malmö even in feisty ‘Battle of the Bridge’

A tasty return match could be on the menu after the 1-1 draw between Malmö FF and FC Copenhagen on Thursday.

Copenhagen and Malmö even in feisty 'Battle of the Bridge'
Malmö and Copenhagen players in action on Thursday night. Photo: Andreas Hillergren/TT/Ritzau Scanpix

Although the UEFA Europa League game ended all square, both teams came away with gripes about how things went.

Copenhagen took the lead through Lasse Nielsen in first-half injury time, before Markus Rosenberg struck an equalizer for Malmö on 55 minutes.

The result was “unfortunately unfair”, Malmö midfielder Anders Christiansen said to Swedish newspaper Expressen after Thursday’s match.

“They had one half-chance and scored one goal,” coach Uwe Rösler said to the same newspaper.

The game had been billed as the ‘Battle of the Bridge’ due to the proximity of the two cities, which are separated by the width of the Öresund.

It turned out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy as the match took on an increasingly physical nature.

There was also little agreement between the two clubs over who had deserved to take more from the game.

“We had full control of the match until Malmö equalized,” FC Copenhagen coach Ståle Solbakken said to Expressen, while admitting he was “satisfied” with the result.

The two teams will play each other again in Copenhagen on December 12th, in a match that could decide who goes through to the knockout stages.

READ ALSO: IN PICTURES: 14 photos that show Copenhagen and Malmö in a new light

SHOW COMMENTS