SHARE
COPY LINK

TERRORISM

Denmark sends new emergency aid to Iraq

The development ministry announced an additional two million kroner in aid, bringing its total contribution to the "deeply tragic" situation in northern Iraq up to 30 million kroner this year.

Denmark sends new emergency aid to Iraq
Displaced Iraqis walk towards the Syrian border on August 10th. Photo: Rodi Said/Scanpix
Development Minister Mogens Jensen announced an additional two million kroner emergency aid package to assist internally-displaced Iraqis on Sunday. The aid will be administered via the Danish Refugee Council and will go primarily to providing food and water to the refugees. 
 
Jensen said that up to 1,000 families in temporary refugee camps would receive Danish aid by Monday. 
 
“Denmark was one of the first countries in the world to contribute with emergency help to Iraq when we gave 20 million kroner before summer holiday to the internally-displaced refugees,” Jensen said in a press release. “The violent escalation of the conflict now requires that the entire international community contribute – this is about saving completely innocent people’s lives.”
 
A jihadist insurgency in northern Iraq has led to concerns of an impending genocide as members of the Yazidi religious minority have been targeted by Islamic fighters. Iraq's human rights minister said on Thursday that militants from the Islamic State (Isis) have killed at least 500 members of the Yazidi community.
 
The US carried out a military strike against the Islamists over the weekend and has also been air-dropping humanitarian aid in the area. 
 
“The situation in Iraq is deeply tragic. Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have been forced to flee due to [Isis’s] brutal attacks, which are aimed at both minorities and Muslims who do not share [Isis’s] extremist ideology,” Denmark’s foreign minister, Martin Lidegaard, said in a statement. 
 
With the additional two million kroner announced on Sunday, Denmark has contributed a total of 30 million kroner in humanitarian aid to Iraq in 2014.  

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Denmark strips dual national of citizenship after terror conviction

A court in Denmark jailed a dual Danish-Turkish national for 10 years on Tuesday and stripped him of his citizenship for "planning a terrorist attack".

Denmark strips dual national of citizenship after terror conviction
The court at Frederiksberg ruled a 24-year-old man must be stripped of his Danish citizenship following a conviction on terrorism charges. Photo: Ólafur Steinar Gestsson/Ritzau Scanpix

The 24-year-old — who was not named by the court — will serve his prison sentence in Denmark, but will then be deported to Turkey upon release, the court in Frederiksberg said in a statement.

The man, a native of Copenhagen, had been under surveillance by the intelligence services and was arrested in April 2020 immediately after purchasing a gun and ammunition. 

The police had found a flag of the Islamic State group in his home. 

Prosecutors had demanded a jail term of 12 years and had charged him with purchasing weapons and ammunition “with the intent of perpetrating one or more terrorist attacks”.

The potential targets were not revealed.

After the man is deported, he will be banned for life from entering Danish territory. 

“I think he’s been in Turkey fewer times than many other Danish people,” his lawyer, Rolf Gregersen, told the court.

“Denmark must take responsibility for him once he was awarded Danish citizenship. They can’t just stick a postage stamp on his back and send him on his way,” the lawyer was quoted by the Danish news agency Ritzau as saying. 

The Danish intelligence services, which have foiled a number of attacks in recent years, categorise the risk of an attack against Denmark as “serious”, six years after an Islamist-motivated double attack in Copenhagen left two people dead.

SHOW COMMENTS