SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Dane’s murder in Spain solved

A Belgian man has confessed to the murder of Anne Strande Jensen in her Madrid apartment.

Dane's murder in Spain solved
The Madrid neighbourhood where Dane Anne Strande Jensen was murdered. Photo: Google Maps
The mysterious death of 27-year-old Danish woman Anne Strande Jensen in Madrid has been explained after Spanish police ran a database search on a fingerprint found at the scene.
 
Jensen's body was found in a burning Madrid apartment near the city's Puerta del Sol on June 13th.
 
Spanish police originally treated the death as accidental but an autopsy later revealed she had been strangled with a rope before the fire was lit, Spanish media reported on Wednesday.
 
Police investigations showed the apartment doors had not been forced, suggesting the murderer was known to the Danish woman.
 
A fingerprint found on one of the apartment walls was also key in those investigations, according to Spanish national daily El Mundo.
 
A police database search revealed that the fingerprint belonged to a Belgian man employed by the company that had rented the apartment to Jensen.
 
The print match came up because the man had been previously arrested in Madrid on rape changes in 2011. He was subsequently released by a magistrate pending charges.    
 
On June 18th, police arrested the man in a Madrid bar.  
 
He then confessed to the murder, giving police details of the crime scene that would not be known to anyone else, Spain's 20 minutos reported. 
 
Jensen, an employee of the Scandinavian Tobacco Group, had recently started a six-month assignment in the Spanish capital when she was killed.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Copenhagen police lift stop-and-search zone

Police in Copenhagen have announced that stop and search zones put in place following a spate of knife violence in the Danish capital will now be lifted, after no further incidents occurred in the last week.

Copenhagen police lift stop-and-search zone

The stop and search zones (also called “visitation zones”), which were in effect in parts of the Nørrebro and Nordvest neighbourhoods, will not be continued and will expire on Thursday, police confirmed.

Recent weeks have not seen any further incidents, police stated, in reference to a spate of violence that flared in the area at the end of 2022.

When the zones are in effect, police within the zone can stop people and check their possessions without meeting the usual requirements to do so.

The stop-and-search zone was put in place on December 29th in response to five stabbings within a week in Copenhagen. It was extended on January 5th.

At the time, police said they believed several of the stabbings were between young men associated with criminal circles, but that there had been no sign of a conflict between established crime groups.

In Thursday’s tweet, police said that investigations into the incidents were “progressing”. No arrests have yet been made.

SHOW COMMENTS