SHARE
COPY LINK

TERRORISM

Court cuts sentence in al-Shabaab case

Two brothers of Somali background were the first to be convicted under a new law against training for terrorist acts, but the Western High Court has shortened their sentences and released them.

Court cuts sentence in al-Shabaab case
Photo: Colourbox
A Danish court on Monday cut a prison sentence given to two Danish brothers of Somali origin convicted for attending a training camp run by Somalia's Islamist al-Shabaab rebels.
 
A court in the central city of Aarhus cut the jail sentence for Guleed Mohamed Warsame, 25, and Nuur Mohamed Warsame, 20, to two years from three and a half years for conspiring to send, and sending, the 25-year-old to a Shabaab-run training camp in Somalia.
 
The previous conviction by a district court was the first under a new Danish law against training with the aim of carrying out a terrorist act.
 
"A majority didn't find sufficient basis that (the older) came to be trained in bomb-making, use of weapons or similar," the High Court of Western Denmark said in a statement.
 
"There was only a basis for finding the defendants guilty of attempt[ing]" to be trained, it said.
 
Both men had been jailed for just over two years and were released after the verdict was announced.
 
The younger brother had stayed behind in Aarhus, where they have lived for more than 16 years, and from where he helped plan the trip and provided his brother with "advice and  encouragement."
 
Somalia's al-Shabaab have carried out a string of revenge attacks for Kenya's military role in southern Somalia, including last year's siege of the Westgate shopping mall that left 67 people dead.
 
Attacks earlier this month on the coastal Mpeketoni district left at least 60 dead and were claimed by al-Shabaab insurgents, though President Uhuru Kenyatta blamed "well-planned, orchestrated and politically motivated ethnic violence" carried out by "local political networks".

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Denmark strips dual national of citizenship after terror conviction

A court in Denmark jailed a dual Danish-Turkish national for 10 years on Tuesday and stripped him of his citizenship for "planning a terrorist attack".

Denmark strips dual national of citizenship after terror conviction
The court at Frederiksberg ruled a 24-year-old man must be stripped of his Danish citizenship following a conviction on terrorism charges. Photo: Ólafur Steinar Gestsson/Ritzau Scanpix

The 24-year-old — who was not named by the court — will serve his prison sentence in Denmark, but will then be deported to Turkey upon release, the court in Frederiksberg said in a statement.

The man, a native of Copenhagen, had been under surveillance by the intelligence services and was arrested in April 2020 immediately after purchasing a gun and ammunition. 

The police had found a flag of the Islamic State group in his home. 

Prosecutors had demanded a jail term of 12 years and had charged him with purchasing weapons and ammunition “with the intent of perpetrating one or more terrorist attacks”.

The potential targets were not revealed.

After the man is deported, he will be banned for life from entering Danish territory. 

“I think he’s been in Turkey fewer times than many other Danish people,” his lawyer, Rolf Gregersen, told the court.

“Denmark must take responsibility for him once he was awarded Danish citizenship. They can’t just stick a postage stamp on his back and send him on his way,” the lawyer was quoted by the Danish news agency Ritzau as saying. 

The Danish intelligence services, which have foiled a number of attacks in recent years, categorise the risk of an attack against Denmark as “serious”, six years after an Islamist-motivated double attack in Copenhagen left two people dead.

SHOW COMMENTS